Three Months in Boston

Last week was my three monthaversary as a Boston resident. Life’s going by so quickly. I feel like I’m running on a treadmill that’s moving faster than I can run–but in a good way. In three short months I’ve learned more about myself and enjoyed life more than I think I ever have. It’s all very weird and good. So here’s what I’ve been doing.

I flew into Boston on Wednesday 7/10. I had seven bags with me, plus a carry-on, plus a back pack. I looked ridiculous, I’m sure. I mean, see for yourself.

So as you can probably imagine, I was a little worried over how I’d get myself and my bags from the airport to the apartment. I got to the conveyor belt with two carts ready to load. Once I had all my bags, I figured I’d push and pull them very slowly until I got to the taxi area. A Virgin America employee ended up helping me push one, so that worked out well. I had to wait for Heidi to get to the apartment to let me in, so I hung out on a bench at Logan. Right as Heidi texted me letting me know she’d e home soon, Amie arrived at Logan. She had flown back from SF, so she was able to push one of my carts over to the taxis while I pushed another. There I got a taxi van, and the driver loaded it up. At the apartment, he unloaded my bags and left. Heidi came down and dragged all my bags up the stairs and into the apartment. I was home. I ordered a bed over the phone from The Boston Bed Company–found them on Yelp. They delivered, so that worked out nicely. Heidi made me breakfast, and then I walked to Target in the worst humidity I had ever experienced. I had moved during the MA heat wave. That was an unpleasant surprise. The day after I arrived, I had a job interview, and later that night I hung out with Sabrina. The next week, I had a follow-up interview, and exactly a week after moving, I was offered the job. That weekend I got some more furniture, primed and painted, and visited Vermont for the first time with my roommates. I had planned to take advantage of my last few days off by exploring a little of the east coast in a Zipcar, but instead I slipped down the stairs and bruised my tailbone, so I was forced to rest. Ha.

I had my first day of work on 8/5. A few weekends later, I went berry picking with Hope and Jessica, and then made a pie from scratch for the first time. I entered the Wicked lottery for two $25 tickets and actually won! It was so great. I brought Sabrina with me since she had never seen it, and I sat there and cried through the whole thing, as usual.

Later that month Heidi and I had dinner at Gaslight for Restaurant Week. I had never done restaurant week in SF, so it was nice to be able to do it in Boston.

Heidi and I also met up with Ryan later that month to go to a Red Sox game. We scalped tickets, and I was so nervous. I made sure to not do any of the talking, which helped, and we ended up getting three bleacher tickets for $50 total. And the Red Sox won that night, so that made it even better.

I flew home the first weekend in September to attend Alex’s wedding. Dad picked me up and for my first meal back in California, we went to In ‘n’ Out.

That night we went to Oakland to see Danny play Warner in Legally Blonde: The Musical. Cried throughout that as well. I can’t help it; when people sing, I usually cry.

The next day, Steph and I started our day with Jamba. You never know what you’re going to miss until you don’t have access to it anymore, and for me, that is now Jamba Juice. Later that day was Alex’s wedding. So crazy that she’s married. Well, actually it isn’t all that crazy. It actually makes sense, haha. They got married on the 7th of September, and it was also their 7th anniversary. How disgustingly cute is that? So good. I still remember when we were all camping, and Carolina and I were swimming in the lake. She was telling me how she was pretty sure Alex was going to get a boyfriend that year, and sure enough, a few months later, she was dating Brandon. And now she’s married to him. Congrats again, cousins!

That night, I slept over Lily’s house, because the next morning we were up before the sun to go on our hot air balloon ride. After the ride, I went home and took a nap, then Steph and I drove to Alamo to attend Rohan’s birthday party and take blurry sister pictures.

That night I packed up some bags while Sarah hung out a little bit, then flew back to Boston the next morning. The following weekend I saw Backstreet Boys for free at the Hatch Shell with Mallory and Tauri, as well as Gavin DeGraw and Of Monsters and Men. That was super fun.

The next morning, Amie and I met up with Arjun and John for breakfast, since they were in town for a wedding. It was so nice catching up with them. After breakfast we headed to church together.

That week, Christine arrived in Boston! It was so nice having her here, and I think she just needs to move to Boston.

We went to a Red Sox game, which they won. And my tweet got put up on the board, haha.


The following week was the first week of neighborhood groups. I’m so excited for mine. I joined the Beacon Hill group since it’s the closest to me and Amie is hosting.

That following Saturday, Christine, Amie, Dani, and I all went apple picking at Honey Pot Hill.

The next day, a few of us had lunch on my roof deck after church, and then Amie drove Sarah home to the North Shore, so Christine and I tagged along.


I’m slowly beginning to prepare for winter. Last weekend Heidi, Emma, and I went to the Wrentham outlets and I bought, amongst many other items, some shoes to wear in the snow. I figure if I continue to prepare for the absolute worst winter ever, I should be alright, though only time will tell, I suppose.

Here’s to the next three months of 2013!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s